Thursday, June 22, 2006

...Flavors...


Just saw a nice movie with name as that of the post..seen quite a few movies about the Indians in America..like American Desi..ABCD etc..This one was a good entertainer.In its small duration..they've touched so many aspects of our Indian ways.(And one funny thing about this post is that while I write this I am chattin with one of my frnds who is movin to US in a month..)
Flavors is actually a restaurant..and where these Indians meet sometimes..no..no..don't get me wrong restaurant is not the main issue here..it just that restaurant has the same name as the movie.The movie unfolds as three..humm.. actually four parallel threads..running together.One has this engineer girl Rachna and her Indian friend/confidante/guide..another is Ramakrishna whose Indian parents have come to get him married to an American girl Jenny..third is an Indian chap and his wife Geeta(excuse me I can recall only a few names) who has just gotten married..fourth is having four roommates(1 girl and 3 boys all Indians.) So, the story goes like..parents are anxious about their kid RK and marriage with Jenny..they are quite understanding as most Indian parents are..then this Recently married chap..he has lost his job becoz of which he managed to marry this girl in the first place..Rachna..she is all freaked out coz of her job..and our three roommate men are looking for jobs...and so the story continues..u should watch it to know the rest. I share just a few things that hit me....and left me wondering

1. Americans have technology comin to them so easily..gadgets..etc. that they are loosin that human touch. They are in the car with their spouse and they keep talkin to their boss..Ok that's possible in India as well but isn't it so unnatural. All the time with all the comforts at each one's disposal..its so individualistic..u have a car..ur cellphone..ur room..ur lappy..ur microwave..u have professionals to manage ur life issues..u don't need bonds..dont need relatives..frnds...pay and get the service...

2. Indian parents with their kids in America.."Bhai..Badaa ladkaa toh California mein hai aur chhota New York mein..proud parents" but I wonder how happy they are..even if they go there they can't stay there..coz they are dependent on their kids completely..& they are not used to the "American" ways.I think they also miss their sabzi/rickshaw waala haggling...and most of all their entire Family..sisters..Bros...n..all back home in India..can they ever be happy away from a place where they spent all their life..growing and seeing their kids grow...

Apart from this I can't say as I haven't been there..but as I learned from smone's writings that this life is too short to learn everything from ur own experiences..so these are mine..might not be true for U.......................


**usage of Ladkaa/male gender is solely conincidental and does not in any way mean bias..its more of a convenience for me.This applies all my future posts**

No comments: